Florida is set to shutter its controversial “Alligator Alcatraz” migrant detention facility by early June, according to reports from The New York Times and CNN affiliate WFOR. The move comes after nearly a year of intense legal scrutiny, mounting operational costs and persistent allegations of inhumane living conditions at the remote site.
Sources familiar with the facility’s operations told The New York Times that vendors at the site were notified Tuesday that detainees will be removed by the beginning of June. The center, which was rapidly constructed on the runway of a minor airport, is expected to be dismantled in the following weeks. WFOR reported similar notifications were issued to state contractors responsible for running the site.
The facility, embedded deep within the Florida Everglades, was positioned as a cornerstone of the state’s support for President Donald Trump’s immigration crackdown. However, the decision to close the site follows a period of instability marked by lawsuits from civil rights groups and the high financial burden placed on the state’s budget.
Gov. Ron DeSantis has previously framed the facility as a short-term measure. During remarks last week, DeSantis acknowledged ongoing discussions with the Trump administration regarding the site’s future, stating that the facility was always intended to be temporary. “If we shut the lights out tomorrow, we will be able to say it served its purpose,” DeSantis said Thursday.
The Cost of Isolation: Legal and Financial Pressures
While the facility was touted by Republicans as an efficient tool for immigration enforcement, the reality on the ground became a liability for the state. The operation has cost Florida millions of dollars to maintain, leading to discussions between the governor’s office and the federal government about a sustainable exit strategy.

The legal challenges have been equally taxing. For months, the facility faced existential threats in court, including a lower court order to dismantle the site—a ruling that was eventually vacated by an appellate court last month. Despite that victory, the state continued to struggle with the facility’s operational legality, particularly regarding the rights of those detained.

A recent court ruling forced the state to address complaints from families and detainees regarding severely limited access to legal counsel. The court mandated that detainees be granted better access to their attorneys and provided with confidential, unmonitored outgoing phone calls, stripping away some of the facility’s extreme isolation.
| Facility Detail | Status/Specification |
|---|---|
| Location | Dade-Collier Training and Transition Airport, Everglades |
| Peak Population | Approx. 1,400 (as of early April) |
| Primary Oversight | Florida Division of Emergency Management |
| Closure Date | Early June (Expected) |
| Primary Challenges | Legal mandates, operational costs, human rights claims |
Allegations of Inhumane Conditions
The facility’s location—less than 50 miles west of President Trump’s Miami Beach resort—did little to shield it from intense criticism. Since its opening last summer, the site has been a lightning rod for Democratic lawmakers, environmentalists, and tribal groups whose ancestral lands border the facility.
Lawmakers who visited the site described a grim scene: hundreds of migrants confined in cages, struggling against the sweltering heat of the Florida interior. Reports detailed infestations of bugs and meager meal portions that failed to meet basic nutritional needs. While Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officials defended the site, claiming it offered higher standards than many traditional U.S. Prisons, the testimony from detainees and their families painted a different picture.
The environmental impact also drew fire. The rapid erection of the facility on an airport runway in the heart of the Everglades raised alarms among conservationists regarding the disruption of a fragile ecosystem and the potential for contamination in a protected wilderness area.
The Path Forward for Detainees
As the June deadline approaches, the primary concern for advocates is the fate of the nearly 1,400 people held at the site as of early April. It remains unclear exactly where these individuals will be transferred. Gov. DeSantis suggested last week that if the program were shuttered, detainees would likely be moved into existing Department of Homeland Security (DHS) facilities.
The transition has created a slight friction in public messaging between state and federal authorities. While the state’s Division of Emergency Management noted that it would “pivot accordingly” if federal needs evolved, the DHS issued a statement to CNN denying that it had pressured Florida to close the facility.
“Florida continues to be a valuable partner in advancing President Trump’s immigration agenda, and DHS appreciates their support,” the agency stated, maintaining that it continuously evaluates detention needs based on operational requirements.
Once the facility is dismantled, the Dade-Collier Training and Transition Airport is expected to return to its normal aviation operations, removing the physical footprint of the detention center from the Everglades.
The next critical checkpoint will be the official transfer of detainees, which is scheduled to begin by the start of June. State officials are expected to provide further updates on the relocation process as the dismantling phase begins.
Do you have information or a perspective on the closure of the Everglades facility? Share your thoughts in the comments or contact our newsroom.
