Roads and Highways Minister Governs Kwame Agbodza announced on Friday, August 21, 2026, that less than 20 kilometres of clearing work remains on the Accra-Kumasi Expressway before reaching Kumasi. The flagship project aims to boost connectivity between Ghana’s two largest cities and support regional economic activity.
Minister for Roads Governs Kwame Agbodza Update
On Friday, August 21, 2026, Minister for Roads and Highways Governs Kwame Agbodza provided an update on the progress of the Accra-Kumasi Expressway, revealing that only a final stretch remains before the highway reaches the Kumasi enclave. The Accra-Kumasi Expressway is a major infrastructure project expected to strengthen connectivity between Ghana’s two largest cities, reduce travel time and support economic activity along the corridor. Mr Agbodza said the project has made significant progress, with only a short stretch remaining before the expressway interfaces with the Kumasi Orbiter, also known as the Kumasi Ring Road. Speaking on Friday, August 21, 2026, the Minister estimated that between 10 and 15 kilometres of work could remain before the project reaches Kumasi. We have less than 20 kilometres. I’m sure we have maybe around 10, 15 kilometres to hit Kumasi itself,
he said. Clearing Progress Near the Kumasi Orbiter
Ghana Armed Forces and Asantehene Otumfuo Osei Tutu II Support
The highway project has moved forward, with officials estimating that between 10 and 15 kilometres of clearing work is all that stands before the route hits Kumasi itself. The remaining uncompleted section sits close to where the Accra-Kumasi Expressway will connect with the Kumasi Orbiter, also known as the Kumasi Ring Road. Mr Agbodza expressed appreciation to the Ghana Armed Forces for their support towards the clearing exercise. The Accra-Kumasi Expressway is a flagship road project intended to improve connectivity between Accra and Kumasi, Ghana’s two major cities, while easing travel and supporting economic activity along the corridor. Mr Agbodza also acknowledged the role of the Asantehene, Otumfuo Osei Tutu II, in advocating for improved road infrastructure within the Kumasi area. He recalled that the Asantehene had emphasised the need to complete key roads to facilitate the operationalisation of the Sewua Hospital, which is expected to serve as a regional referral facility for Kumasi. The Minister also thanked the Asantehene for his continued counsel and support for road development within the Ashanti Region. To meet these demands, the firm handling the route has resumed operations. According to the Minister, Kofi Job Company Limited, the contractor working on the project, has since returned to site and is making good progress. Since then, the contractor, Kofi Job, has returned to site and is doing very well,
Mr Agbodza said. Governs Kwame Agbodza, Minister for Roads and Highways

Maripoma Enterprise Limited Tema Roundabout–Tetteh Quarshie Interchange Project

He explained that the contractor was nearing completion of one section of the road and would subsequently move to the opposite side to continue the works. As we are told, he’s almost done with one leg of the work and then the one that is to the right-hand side is where he’ll be working on. But we can assure you that he’s going to go ahead and complete the work,
he added. Mr Agbodza said the remaining portion of the expressway is located near the point where it is expected to connect with the Kumasi Orbiter. Kwame Governs Agbodza is the Minister of Roads and Highways. The Minister of Roads and Highways, Kwame Governs Agbodza, has directed the contractor handling the Tema Roundabout–Tetteh Quarshie Interchange project to introduce night shifts and increase the pace of construction to ensure the project is delivered on time. The minister said the contractor, Maripoma Enterprise Limited, must take advantage of the government’s 24-hour economy initiative to speed up work on the 19.5-kilometre stretch, which is currently marginally behind schedule. Agbodza made the call on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, during an inspection of road projects in the Greater Accra Region. He wants activities that cause major disruptions to traffic to be undertaken largely at night, while less disruptive work is carried out during the day. He also asked the contractor to maintain clearly marked lanes to allow motorists to move through the construction zone during daytime. There’s no reason why you cannot work even more at night than the day,
the minister said. Agbodza acknowledged the progress made since his previous inspection, saying activity at the project site had increased significantly. He particularly praised the contractor for completing the main bridge without any incident involving road users, despite the location being one of the busiest intersections in the capital. The minister, however, stressed that the contractor must now raise the tempo to prevent further delays. He said commuters had endured the disruption for a considerable period and expected the project to be completed within the agreed timeframe. Kwabena Bempong. Agbodza said completing the remaining pavement works should now be faster.
