Time.news – An Australian teenager died of a suspected cubomedusa sting, lto most dangerous jellyfish in the world. The 17-year-old was swimming in Bamaga, a remote area at the tip of Cape York in Queensland when he was shot.
Transported by helicopter to the hospital, he died. According to the biologist Lisa-Ann Gershwin, this is the first death attributable to a cubomedusa since 2006; even then the fatal accident occurred in Bamaga.
The cubomedusa (box jellyfish), one of the most dangerous creatures in the world, is widespread in the tropical seas of northern Australia, where swimmers are advised to stay away from the waters or wear special wetsuits that protect the whole body in the summer season.
Small and transparent, it has four long tentacles which, upon contact, cause immediate anaphylactic shock: toxins attack the heart, nervous system and skin cells. The pain is so intense that the affected person goes into shock and drowns or dies of a heart attack before being able to reach the shore.