Title: WWE Hall of Famer Adam Copeland (Edge) Signs Full-Time Deal with AEW
In a surprising turn of events, former WWE star Adam Copeland, known by his ring name Edge, has signed a full-time contract with All Elite Wrestling (AEW). The announcement was made by AEW head honcho Tony Khan during a post-WrestleDream Media Scrum. Copeland expressed his excitement at joining AEW and revealed his determination to contribute and help the company thrive.
Full-Time Commitment to AEW
After his limited appearances in WWE as a special attraction, where he only worked a few programs per year, Copeland’s transition to AEW marks a significant shift. Khan confirmed that Copeland will be a regular presence on AEW television, appearing “every week.” In his first match for AEW, Copeland will take on Luchasaurus during an episode of Dynamite, coinciding with WWE NXT on Tuesday, October 10.
Copeland’s Decision to Join AEW
Speaking about his decision to sign with AEW after his WWE contract expired, Copeland shared his enthusiasm for facing fresh talent and taking on new challenges. He mentioned his excitement at the prospect of facing wrestlers he has never competed against before, such as Samoa Joe, Sting, Nick Wayne, and Swerve. The 49-year-old wrestling veteran described his AEW debut as a feeling of liberation and compared it to his early days as an indie wrestler. Copeland revealed his intention to be a full-time contributor to AEW and expressed his willingness to do so for as long as possible.
Highlights from Copeland’s Interview
During his conversation with the wrestling press, Copeland gave a glimpse of what fans can expect in the coming weeks:
1. Mission Statement: Copeland will share his mission statement and provide insights into the events that unfolded during WrestleDream.
2. Excitement and Freedom: Copeland recounted the exhilarating experience of traveling to Seattle and filming his introductory vignette with Darby Allin. He emphasized feeling “free” and emphasized his excitement about being part of AEW.
3. Working with the Roster: Copeland expressed his excitement about working with several talents in the AEW roster, including Jon Moxley, Claudio Castagnoli, and Kenny Omega. He emphasized his eagerness to challenge himself in the ring.
4. Involvement Behind the Scenes: Copeland expressed his interest in the creative process and storytelling element of professional wrestling. He confirmed that he would be available to help anyone who seeks guidance and support.
5. Contributing to the Wrestling Industry: Copeland’s passion for helping other talent and making a positive impact on the wrestling industry motivated him to join AEW. He believes that his contributions will benefit not only AEW but also the entire wrestling community.
Personal Life and Future with AEW
Copeland briefly mentioned his wife, WWE Hall of Famer Beth Phoenix, and revealed their constant communication regarding their professional endeavors. While the possibility of Phoenix joining AEW remains unknown for now, Copeland expressed his desire to be near her, acknowledging her creative input and invaluable influence on his career.
Entrance Music Choice
Copeland explained his choice of entrance music, “Metalingus” by Alter Bridge, as a song that sets the tone for his character. He mentioned his friendship with the band’s guitarist, Mark Tremonti, who granted him permission to use the song wherever he goes.
With the signing of Adam Copeland, AEW has gained an experienced and passionate wrestler eager to make a difference in the promotion. Copeland’s commitment to being a full-time contributor and his enthusiasm for facing new challenges indicate a potential bright future in AEW. Fans can anticipate further developments as Copeland brings his talent, knowledge, and energy to the AEW roster.