The Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo has reached a cumulative 5,021 cases, including 2,378 total deaths, according to government data released late on Tuesday. Public health institute reports show that the ongoing epidemic has surpassed the 2,299 deaths recorded during the 2018–2020 outbreak, making it the country’s deadliest Ebola outbreak in history.
Ebola Outbreak in Democratic Republic of Congo Surpasses 5,000 Cases
World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus stated that the outbreak in eastern Congo remains a global emergency. Speaking in Geneva, Tedros noted that the epidemic is moving at an unprecedented speed and that the risk of further national and international spread remains high. The UN health agency originally declared the rare Bundibugyo outbreak a public health emergency of international concern on May 17.
Unprecedented Transmission and Severe Strain on Healthcare Workers
Responders warn that the virus is spreading at an unprecedented pace, outpacing containment efforts in some of the country’s remotest regions. Government data indicates the current epidemic has spread about three times faster than the 2014–2016 West Africa outbreak, which remains the largest on record with more than 11,000 deaths. The World Health Organization estimates that the current crisis will likely surpass that historic total.
The outbreak has affected six provinces, with the communications ministry confirming that it has spread to a sixth province, Bas-Uele, located in the northeast of the country. Conditions on the ground are heavily impacted by insecurity, displacement, and intense population movements.
Health workers face extreme exhaustion amid mounting demands and poor working conditions. In Ituri’s capital Bunia, nurse Thérèse Anyiya told AP News that some healthcare personnel have gone on strike after missing pay. According to World Health Organization figures, infections among health workers have reached at least 155 confirmed cases, resulting in 45 deaths and 68 recoveries.
Challenges in Surveillance, Treatment, and Community Trust
A primary challenge for responders is the lack of approved vaccines or treatments for the rare Bundibugyo strain driving the outbreak. Most new infections are being reported outside of actively monitored groups, leaving surveillance teams struggling to trace transmission chains.
The overall case-fatality rate hovers around 46% to 47.4%, driven by patients reporting symptoms late or failing to receive prompt care. The severity varies significantly across regions; in North Kivu province, response challenges have pushed the local fatality rate to 70%.
Violence driven by a lack of information has further hampered medical teams. In the territory of Aru, residents attacked a health team after a suspected case was reported, setting fire to an ambulance and damaging two other vehicles, according to Michael Wani, president of the Union of Cultural Associations for the Development of Ituri. Trish Newport, an emergency coordinator with Doctors Without Borders, emphasized that impacted communities need vital information regarding signs, symptoms, and proper safety protocols.
International Funding and Response Measures
In response to the crisis, United Nations humanitarian affairs chief Tom Fletcher allocated an additional $30.5 million from the UN’s Central Emergency Response Fund. This funding builds upon $24 million previously allocated to the Democratic Republic of Congo and neighboring countries.
This is a wake-up call,
Fletcher said, emphasizing the need for speed, scale, and solidarity. International committees continue to evaluate the spread, with updated recommendations expected from the World Health Organization.
