Residents of Khartoum city, the capital of Sudan, said the number of clashes in inner-city areas increased rapidly on June 4 after the ceasefire agreement between the army and paramilitary forces expired. effect.
Reuters news agency (UK) quoted witnesses as saying that a military aircraft crashed in Omdurman, one of three cities near the Nile, near the capital Khartoum. The Sudanese Army has no official information about the fighting situation in the capital.
Among the areas that saw increased clashes on June 4 were the central and southern regions capital city Khartoum and the Bahri region in the northern Blue Nile state. Outside the capital, clashes also broke out in the Darfur region of western Sudan.
Fighting between the Sudanese army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Force (RSF) broke out on April 15, after the RSF quickly deployed forces across the capital.
Saudi Arabia and the United States are constantly trying to mediate between the two sides by holding talks in the city of Jeddah (Saudi Arabia) to find truce agreement.
[Các bên tham chiến tại Sudan tiếp tục đụng độ ở thủ đô Khartoum]
Negotiations on extending the ceasefire were halted last week after the Sudanese Army on May 31 announced its withdrawal from negotiations in Jeddah.
A day later, US and Saudi Arabian negotiators officially announced a halt to the process, in which Washington said it was ready to resume negotiations when the parties showed “seriousness.” On June 1, the US announced sanctions against the parties fighting in Sudan.
In a joint statement issued on June 4, Saudi Arabia and the United States said that the current discussions were focused on the goal of facilitating humanitarian assistance and agreed on short-term steps that the two countries should take. parties need to do before negotiations on a ceasefire extension resume.
“Saudi Arabia and the United States call on the warring parties to agree and effectively implement a new ceasefire agreement, leading to an agreement to completely end tensions,” the statement said.
The newly released joint statement was issued two days before US Secretary of State Antony Blinken’s visit to Saudi Arabia, in which the situation in Sudan could be part of the discussion.
The most recent ceasefire, which began on May 22 and expired on the evening of June 3, has reduced the frequency of clashes and allowed some limited humanitarian assistance. However, like other ceasefires, this ceasefire has also been repeatedly violated.
Fighting that has lasted for seven weeks has left more than 1,800 people dead, about 1.2 million people have been displaced from their homes, while 400,000 have been displaced to neighboring countries. According to the United Nations, about 25 million people (more than 50% of Sudan’s population) need relief and protection.
Le Anh (VNA/Vietnam+)
#Fighting #Sudan #Clashes #intensify #capital #Khartoum #Africa