Time.news – At least 68 people were killed and 105 are still missing in the explosion of a fuel depot in the separatist region of Nagorno-Karabakh, the enclave populated by Armenians but belonging to Azerbaijan in the Caucasus. This was announced by the regional government.
The explosion occurred as thousands of Armenians trying to leave the region were queuing to refuel their cars. The death toll was revised after the Armenian health minister, Anahit Avanesyan, said at a press conference in Yerevan that the bodies of 125 people had been transferred from Nagorno-Karabakh to morgues in Armenia; and that 67 people had been transferred to burn centers.
Nagorno-Karabakh’s human rights ombudsman, Gegham Stepanyan, later added in the government’s official channel on the Telegram messaging app that the 125 were war-related deaths. The cause of the explosion in the separatist region of Azerbaijan, where thousands of people have fled to Armenia, is not yet clear, the health minister said during a press conference in Yerevan.
The explosion appears to have occurred while people were queuing to refuel their cars. Over 28 thousand people have fled from Nagorno-Karabakh to Armenia since Sunday, a massive exodus started after the sudden military offensive that brought the enclave back under the control of theAzerbaijan.
Reproduction is expressly reserved © Time.news 2023
#Fuel #depot #explodes #NagornoKarabakh #killing