As is tradition, every Holy Monday he goes out to walk the streets and avenues of zones 1, 2 and 6, the procession of the Consecrated Image of Jesus Nazareno of the Three Powers.
As reported by the Brotherhood of the Nazarene, This 2023 the solemn procession will leave at 12:15 p.m. from the Parish of the Holy Cross of the Miracle “Old Parish” located in the 4th calle numeral 15-43 of zone 6 of the capital.
Route of the Holy Monday procession
This year the walk with 94 arms that carries the Consecrated Image of Jesus Nazareno of the Three Powers will once again make its traditional passage through the Cerrito del Carmen and by some temples with great historical value such as the Parish of Our Lady of Candelaria, the Parish of the Most Holy Name of Jesus (La Recolección), the Holy Metropolitan Cathedral Church and the Parish of Our Lady of La Merced.
- Departure from the Temple, 12:15 p.m.
- Parish of Our Lady of Candelaria, 1:20 p.m.
- Isabel La Católica Park, 3:00 p.m.
- San Sebastián School, 3:50 p.m.
- Parish of the Most Holy Name of Jesus, Temple of the Recollection; 4:25 p.m.
- Old School of Christ, 6:15 p.m.
- Holy Metropolitan Cathedral Church, 7:00 p.m.
- Nuestra Señora de las Mercedes Parish, La Merced Church, 9:15 p.m.
- 1 street Avenida de los Árboles, zone 1; 11:00 p.m.
- Entrance, 01:00 hours.
Historical data of Jesus of the Three Powers
According to historical data, The Consecrated Image of Jesus Nazareno of the Three Powers originally belonged to the religious order founded by San Felipe Neri, called Los Oratorianos. The image was venerated in the School of Christ, located in present-day Antigua Guatemala.
The priests who belonged to that religious order ordered an image of Jesus carrying the cross to be carved, which was entrusted to the sculptor Alonso de la Paz y Toledo, the creation dates from approximately the year 1697.
With the transfer of the capital to Nueva Guatemala de la Asunción, and while the image of the Nazarene was located in its own place, it was sheltered in the church of Cerrito del Carmen.
On September 28, 1884, the image of Jesús Nazareno was transferred to where it would be its final home: the old Hermitage of the Assumption, also known at that time as the Old Parish. The relic of the Holy Cross of the Miracle was taken to that same temple, which is why the church was given the same name.
The temple of the Nazarene
The Parish of the Holy Cross of the Miracle, was inaugurated on August 15, 1723 as the Parish of Our Lady of the Assumption. Next to that church, the first meeting of the authorities of the Kingdom of Guatemala was held, making the transfer from Panchoy official on January 2, 1776.
With the creation of the Candelaria Parish, it was left in a state of abandonment, which is why it was known as the Old Parish. In 1884, after several years of repairs, it reopened its doors as the Parish of the Holy Cross of the Miracle..
The earthquakes of 1917 and 1918 cause severe damage, it is rebuilt in 1953. In 1976, the earthquake severely damaged it, which is why it was rebuilt with the appearance we currently know..