The archpriest urged not to take out the ancient icon without a special capsule and replace it with a copy
As it became known to MK, Father Leonid (Kalinin), who until today headed the Expert Council on Church Art, Architecture and Restoration of the Moscow Patriarchate (it was he who participated in the Expanded Restoration Council on the part of the Russian Orthodox Church) – was removed from all positions for a memorandum to Patriarch Kirill , where he tried to explain the risks of moving the “Trinity” to the Cathedral of Christ the Savior. In his letter, he insisted that Trinity needed a special capsule with temperature and humidity conditions, and while it was not available, it would be better to put a copy in the XXC. The answer to the petition was a tough decision to remove the priest from all positions and a ban on priestly service.
Father Leonid (Kalinin) is not only a hereditary priest (his grandfather is a great-uncle Anatoly Borisovich Sventsitsky, nephew of Archpriest Valentin Sventsitsky), but also a hereditary artist (he is the son of artists Dmitry Kalinin and Irina Vuchetich), his wife is an icon painter and restorer, himself education sculptor (studied with Oleg Komov at the Institute named after V. I. Surikov).
For many years, Kalinin was engaged in artistic issues in the Russian Orthodox Church (for example, he was a member of the commission for the decoration of the Cathedral of Christ the Savior), and in 2016, by decision of the Holy Synod, he was appointed chairman of the expert council on church art, architecture and restoration.
Father Leonid participated on the part of the Russian Orthodox Church in the last Extended Restoration Council of the Tretyakov Gallery, where he said that on the Trinity it is necessary to “make decisions that will be really useful for both society and the church, and especially for those shrines that survive and must survive centuries.”
He understood that the icon was very fragile, its condition was unstable, and he was indignant at the fact that last summer it was exhibited in the Trinity-Sergius Lavra not in a special capsule with TVR, but in an ordinary one. After listening to a detailed report and familiarizing himself with 3D and macro photography of a monument of ancient Russian painting, Father Leonid became convinced that moving, especially without special conditions, could be disastrous for the Trinity. And he suggested to the Patriarch that the 15th-century relic be replaced with a copy by Vasily Kirikov, a restorer who participated in the uncovering of the Trinity in 1918 and made a list in 1959-1963.
A copy of the “Trinity” by the restorer Kirikov is stored in the Andrei Rublev Museum of Old Russian Art. Father Leonid proposed on June 4 (on the feast of the Trinity) to exhibit this outstanding copy, indistinguishable from the original and consecrated by the church, and then prepare a special capsule so that, when the kiot is ready, transfer the ancient monument to a temple or a lavra. For his position, he paid with all positions, including a post in the Expert Council for Church Art, Architecture and Restoration.
Now, by the decree of Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Rus’, “in connection with the obstruction of the bringing to the Cathedral Cathedral of Christ the Savior of the icon of the Holy Trinity of St. banned from worship.
#Leonids #father #relieved #posts #standing #Trinity