Made in Italy wine, record turnover. Leap of exports around the world

by time news

The progress of the anti Covid vaccination campaign with the reopening of all catering activities around the world projects the turnover of Made in Italy wine to record levels with a value of over 12 billion in 2021, even surpassing the results of the pre Covid. This is what emerges from Coldiretti’s analysis of Istat data presented on the occasion of the first Vinitaly Special Edition which takes place with the harvest in progress where the grapes from all regions of Italy were exhibited live for the first time at the hall 4 stand D3 of the Verona Fair. The leap in exports with purchases of Made in Italy bottles all over the world is also driving the turnover of wine, which grew by +15 percent, breaking through for the first time – according to Coldiretti projections – 7.2 billion euros but family purchases also increased with an increase of 9.7 percent in the first nine months of 2021 in the large-scale retail trade, according to Coldiretti analysis on Iri – Infoscan data. S.

and on the domestic market it is bubbles that record a significant growth of 27.1 per cent, while to push the record abroad – notes Coldiretti – are above all the United States which recorded an increase of 19 per cent in exports confirming itself as the first reference market. Sales in China have even increased by 67 percent, but European consumers are also driving Italian bottles across the border in 2021. In France, in the realm of Champagne, Made in Italy labels register a +17 percent, in Russia even +39 percent, while Germany grows by +5 percent on values ​​that make it the first tricolor wine market in the Old World. Less positive notes come from Great Britain where sales of Made in Italy bottles are stagnant due to the difficulties related to Brexit, even if it ranks second among the most passionate European customers, especially Prosecco. The losses of the terrible Covid year are thus amply recovered, offering an important contribution to the economy and employment of the entire country, considering that the sector – highlights Coldiretti – offers job opportunities to 1.3 million people from vineyard to table.

Despite the difficulties of the climate – explains Coldiretti – Italy remains world leader in the production of wine ahead of France and Spain, the two main competitors at an international level, with a production that this year, albeit down by 10 percent, is close to ‘the 44.5 million hectoliters, according to the forecasts of the European Commission. The Made in Italy bottles – underlines Coldiretti – are destined for about 70 percent Docg, Doc and Igt with 332 wines with controlled designation of origin (Doc), 76 wines with controlled and guaranteed designation of origin (Docg), and 118 wines with a typical geographical indication (Igt) recognized in Italy and the remaining 30 per cent table wines. The per capita consumption in Italy is around 33 liters per year with an ever increasing attention to quality, to the history of wine, to the links with the territories that push Italians and foreigners also to discover wineries and companies.

READ Also:  The budget lacked warmth - Newspaper Kommersant No. 189 (7151) dated 16.10.2021

The element that most characterizes the new season of Italian wine – continues Coldiretti – is the attention to the link with the territory, environmental sustainability, marketing policies, also through the use of social networks, and the relationship with consumers, with young winemakers who take over the reins of the companies, giving an innovative turn. Moreover, the farms of young people have an area that is more than 54 per cent higher than the average, a turnover that is 75 per cent higher than the average and 50 per cent more employees per farm. “Wine is the most exported Italian product abroad and represents a driving force for the entire country system”, declares the president of Coldiretti Ettore Prandini, underlining that “it is the result of a path taken by our companies towards the quality and sustainability of production “. What is worrying – concludes Prandini – are the new European policies such as the proposal to put alarmist labels on the bottles to discourage consumption and also the stop to support for promotion.

You may also like

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.