Construction of Toronto’s Ontario Line subway project could lead to a temporary closure of the Don Valley Parkway (DVP), according to Metrolinx CEO Michael Lindsay. The potential disruption stems from the need to build a major overpass allowing the new subway line to cross above the busy highway, a critical component of the ambitious transit expansion.
The 15.6-km Ontario Line is designed to connect Don Mills and Eglinton to Ontario Place, running through Toronto’s east end and into the downtown core. Announced in 2019 as an alternative to the previously proposed downtown relief line, the project currently carries an estimated cost of just over $27 billion and a projected completion date in the early 2030s. A key element of the construction involves building a new overpass for the Ontario Line trains to safely traverse the Don Valley Parkway.
Lindsay acknowledged the possibility of a DVP closure during a news conference on Wednesday, stating that Metrolinx will work closely with relevant authorities to coordinate any necessary work. “Potentially, is the answer to the question,” he said, as reported by Global News. “We are building the Bloor Viaduct again, three times, for this project, but these are massive works. We will work with all partners to minimize disruption.”
Concerns Raised by Opposition Critics
The prospect of a DVP closure has already drawn concern from opposition politicians. Ontario Liberal MPP John Fraser expressed worry about the potential impact on Toronto commuters. “That’s going to be a pretty serious thing here in Toronto; they’re going to have to think long and hard about how they do that,” Fraser said. “Hopefully, that gets planned well. I’m not convinced the government is good at planning those things … You can’t afford for this city to freeze up.”
Ontario NDP Leader Marit Stiles echoed these concerns, questioning Metrolinx’s ability to manage the project effectively. “If he’s talking about the Don Valley (Parkway), I think Ontarians and Torontonians, in particular, should be very deeply concerned about this,” Stiles stated. “Metrolinx has shown us again and again that they can’t get this right, they are not learning lessons of the past.”
The Don Valley Crossings Project
The construction impacting the DVP is part of the larger Don Valley Crossings project, which involves building two bridges to carry the Ontario Line over the Don Valley. According to Metrolinx, the first bridge, the Don Valley Crossing, will connect the tunnel portal at Minton Place to Thorncliffe Park. A second, the West Don Crossing, will span the E.T. Seton Park area, linking the Thorncliffe Park and Flemingdon Park guideways, and stations. Renderings of the future Don Valley Crossing bridge are available on the Metrolinx website, though they are subject to change.
The Ontario Line will emerge from the ground at the eastern embankment of the Don Valley using a tunnel portal structure at Minton Place, south of the Leaside Bridge. The line will then travel over the valley on the Don Valley Crossing bridge, connecting to an elevated guideway through Thorncliffe Park.
Potential for Disruption and Project Timeline
While Metrolinx has pledged to minimize disruption, the scale of the project suggests that some level of traffic impact is inevitable. The construction of the overpass, described by Lindsay as akin to “building the Bloor Viaduct again, three times,” will require significant engineering and logistical planning. The current estimated completion date for the Ontario Line remains in the early 2030s, but recent reports suggest the project may face further delays.
The potential for a DVP closure adds another layer of complexity to the already ambitious undertaking. The Don Valley Parkway is a vital artery for commuters traveling north and south through Toronto, and any prolonged closure could have significant consequences for traffic flow and the city’s economy.
As construction progresses, Metrolinx will continue to provide updates on potential disruptions and mitigation measures. Commuters are encouraged to stay informed about planned closures and alternative routes through the Metrolinx website and other official channels.
The next major milestone for the Ontario Line is the ongoing station groundbreakings, as highlighted by Global News. Further details regarding the potential DVP closure and associated traffic management plans are expected to be released by Metrolinx in the coming months.
What are your thoughts on the Ontario Line construction and its potential impact on Toronto traffic? Share your comments below and join the conversation.
