Sheffield United could face a 12-point deduction in the Championship after the High Court issued a winding-up order against COH Sports Bidco Limited (CSBL), the company that purchased the club in December 2024. The legal action was brought by United World, the club’s former owners, over claims that it is owed more than £35 million from the takeover.
High Court Winds Up Company Behind Sheffield United Takeover
The petition was concluded in approximately 10 seconds at London’s specialist Insolvency and Companies Court (ICC) on Wednesday. Judge Paul Greenwood granted the compulsory winding-up order requested by Angus Groom, representing United World, which would wind up COH Sports.
United World, owned by Prince Abdullah bin Mosa’ad, filed the petition last month after asserting that the current owners failed to settle the outstanding debt. Prince Abdullah previously bought 50% of Sheffield United in 2013 before acquiring the remaining stake in 2019 following a long High Court battle. CSBL was formed by American co-chairmen Steven Rosen and Helmy Eltoukhy to complete the 2024 acquisition of the club’s parent company, Blades Leisure Ltd.
Ownership Structure Changes and Regulatory Scrutiny
The legal battle has introduced complex questions for the English Football League (EFL) and its regulations regarding club ownership and financial obligations. In June, Sheffield United announced that Delaware-based 1919 Partners LLC had become the parent company of the club, transferring shares out of CSBL.
United World characterized the share transfer as an attempt to evade creditors. United World does not want to see SUFC facing months of uncertainty that will follow the winding-up order being granted on 19 August, but in the absence of [Helmy] Eltoukhy and Rosen, both billionaires, agreeing to pay what they owe, we have no alternative but to take all legal steps to protect our interests,
the former owners stated.

Michelle Quinn, a partner at Grosvenor Law, noted that CSBL had a history of late payments, previously issuing a statutory demand for an earlier instalment, and made no effort to defend the winding-up petition. It is a very real risk that COH Sports has little in the way of assets remaining,
Quinn said, adding that liquidators will review the share transfer to determine if assets can be recovered for creditors.
Neither the EFL nor the Independent Football Regulator (IFR) were reportedly informed of the share transfer prior to its execution. The IFR confirmed it has been in contact with the club to gather more information regarding the winding-up petition and ownership developments.
Potential 12-Point Deduction Threatens Promotion Ambitions
Under EFL regulations, Sheffield United could be subjected to a 12-point deduction if the league rules that ownership and financial rules have been breached. The club previously incurred a two-point deduction during the 2024-25 season due to missed transfer payments under Prince Abdullah during the 2022-23 campaign.

An EFL spokesperson said the league notes the High Court’s decision to issue a winding up order on COH Sports Bidco Limited
and will consider the implications under its regulations, alongside other ongoing regulatory matters tied to the club’s ownership changes.
Sources close to the Sheffield United ownership defended the club’s current financial health, describing the winding-up petition as a publicity stunt
by Prince Abdullah and maintaining that Eltoukhy and Rosen remain focused on team sustainability and promotion efforts under manager Chris Wilder.
The team opened their current Championship campaign with a 3-0 Carabao Cup win over Mansfield Town and a goalless draw against Birmingham City at Bramall Lane, ahead of an upcoming fixture away against Swansea City. However, a potential 12-point penalty would represent a severe blow to the club’s aspirations of returning to the Premier League.
