The coverage offered by my motorcycle insurance if I travel abroad

Holidays and good weather encourage many bikers to tune up their vehicles and devour kilometers beyond our borders. Prepare the luggage, tune up our motorcycle, organize the stops along the way, all the necessary equipment for our driving safety, check the intercoms if we are accompanied, review the budget we have, check the first aid kit and the kit of basic tools and spare parts, and of course, preparing the ‘motorbike papers’, among which is our insurance. But, do we know what coverage we have outside our borders?

Well, AMV show us everything that we should take into account. Currently, the types of insurance that are commonly offered by insurers and that are usually valid outside of Spain are Third Party Insurance, Extended Third Party Insurance (in some cases it includes collision damage and collision damage against hunting), Third Party Insurance + Theft and Fire, as well as All Risk insurance. In addition, depending on the company, coverage such as driver accidents, roadside assistance with towing service and equipment can be added to these.

In the general and particular conditions of each of the insurances, the guarantees that have been contracted must be reflected, and what the subscribed policy covers. But, if we have one of them, we will be protected in the same way as in Spain and with the same coverage.

These forms of insurance usually have validity in the following territories: Germany, Belgium, Croatia, Denmark, Spain, France, Ireland, Latvia, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Sweden, Bulgaria, Slovakia, Estonia, Greece, Malta, Poland, Czech Republic, Austria, Cyprus, Slovenia, Finland, Hungary, Italy , Lithuania, Portugal and Romania; as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

Similarly, in the countries adhering to the Multilateral Guarantee Agreement: Andorra, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Iceland, Montenegro, United Kingdom, Norway, Serbia and Switzerland. And also in Vatican City, Gibraltar, Monaco and San Marino.

Remember that having a driving insurance is mandatory in all the countries of the European Union.

What is the CIS?

Well, basically it is the same, its real name is the International Certificate of Civil Liability Insurance for land vehicles, now known as CIS. Until 2021 in Spain it was popularly known as the ‘Green Card’ because it was printed on paper of that color. However, as of that date, its format is digital and its printing is done on a blank sheet of paper.

The first thing we must say is that this mandatory civil liability coverage is included in all types of insurance, therefore, with it we can demonstrate that we have motorcycle insurance abroad. And by foreign we mean the countries adhering to the Interbureaux Agreement: Albania, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Iran, Israel, Macedonia, Morocco, Moldova, Russia, Tunisia, Turkey and Ukraine.

The CIS, in addition to demonstrating that we are insured, protects us when we are guilty of a traffic accident and cause damage to other vehicles or people. That is, to third parties. So our insurance company will be responsible for compensating for these damages that we may cause. Regarding the validity of the CIS, it ranges between 15 days and one year from the date of issuance of the document.

In the event that the insurance company with which we have contracted the insurance does not give us the CIS, to travel through the countries adhering to the Interbureaux Agreement we would have to contract Border Insurance. Border Insurance is a temporary International Certificate of Insurance that we can acquire through the Network of National Insurance Offices and only contemplates the mandatory Civil Liability guarantee, that is, to third parties, so it does not cover roadside assistance damages of our vehicle, legal defense… Its contracting is similar to that of an insurance, the cost is calculated, the premium is collected and the documentation is delivered

It is very important to keep in mind that, unlike the CIS, the Border Insurance is only valid for one country. So we will have to take out insurance every time we visit one of the states adhering to the Interbureaux Agreement.


In the event that we have contracted insurance with coverage such as roadside assistance, or towing service, we must also check the territorial scope of the same and in which countries they would cover us.

Finally, in the event that we have suffered some type of mishap, it is very important to know what are the security elements that we must carry in the country in which we find ourselves. Thus, while in Spain, the emergency triangles, the reflective vest, the first aid kit, the triangles, or the new V16 light signal (with or without geolocation) that came into force last year are not mandatory, in other countries are, all of them, or only some of them. For example, in France it is compulsory to wear a reflective vest in the event of a stop, while in Romania, in addition to the vest, triangles and a first aid kit are also compulsory. Therefore, it will be necessary to find out about the legislation of each country in which we are going to enter before starting.


Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Recent News

Editor's Pick