As journalist Alexander Trubin found out, the gymnasium was opened several times. The solemn ceremony was timed to coincide with the visit of a status person from St. Petersburg, who “cut the ribbon”. It is interesting that this tradition has been preserved in modern Karelia as well.
Meanwhile, it turned out that the building of the gymnasium at the time of construction was the first structure on the future Cathedral Square – long before the construction of the temple – and the largest building in the city. In addition, the Olonets provincial male gymnasium became one of the best educational institutions of tsarist Russia. The reason for this, oddly enough, was the Patriotic War of 1812.