- Why people start smoking at all?
- What motivates people to to quit smoking?
- Why do you gain weight at allwhen you quit smoking?
- That’s how it works Quit smoking without gaining weight
Smoke harms the health. Many smokers would therefore like to swear off the fags forever. However, what often prevents many from doing so is Fear of gaining weight. In fact, many people gain a few pounds after quitting smoking. However, there are a few helpful measuresthat can cushion or even prevent weight gain.
Why do people even start smoking?
At first glance, there seems to be nothing in favor of smoking. It spreads stinkaccelerates the skin aging and harms health massive – also those of passive smokers. Because the exhaled tobacco smoke contains partially more toxic substances than the mainstream smoke. Nevertheless, many people reach for a cigarette at some point and, in the worst case, can’t get rid of it. Here are some reasons why people start smoking:
- Tobacco Industry Promises: Tobacco manufacturers and cigarette producers advertise with one special attitude to lifethat smoking brings with it. Freedom, fun and adventure are values that smoking should bring with it. This appeals to young people in particular and tempts them to try it out. But: Tobacco advertising will soon be largely banned in Germany. Advertising measures in the press, on the Internet, radio and television are no longer permitted. Since January 2022, the advertising ban has also applied to outdoor advertising, from January 2023 the advertising ban will also be extended to so-called tobacco heaters and from January 2024 to electronic cigarettes and refill containers.
- Smoking as a means of weight control: Cigarettes actually contain active ingredients that, on the one hand, Curb appetite and on the other hand boost metabolism. Both reasons that can make it easier to lose weight and make the path to the dream figure supposedly closer. However, smoking does not help with weight loss.
- Smoking relaxes and increases memory: Nicotine is known to be arrives in the brain within 10 seconds and stimulates certain receptors here. As a result, more neurotransmitters are released, such as Dopaminethe one with the reward center related. Also become Serotonin and the body’s own opioid Endorphin increasingly produced. On the one hand, this has a calming effect, but it also increases memory and attention.
- Pandemic fuels rise in smoking numbers: For adult smokers it was possible there has been an increase since the beginning of the corona pandemic become, but not among young people. Experts suspect that people who had previously quit smoking are now relapsing. Possibly she too increased work in the home office led to people finding more opportunities to smoke. In addition, the stress caused by the corona pandemic is one that should not be underestimated Stress factor who may have encouraged people to smoke cigarettes.
- Start of smoking mostly in adolescence: About nine out of ten long-term smokers have it when they are young between 14 and 19 years started smoking, reports the Addiction expert Professor Dr. Daniel Kotz. In middle age, it is rare for people to consider starting smoking.
What motivates people to quit smoking?
The health risks caused by smoking are preventable. Every year over die in Germany 127,000 people to the consequences of tobacco use. Around 31 % of German women and men aged 14 and over are smokers, with men more likely to smoke cigarettes.
In the German survey on smoking behavior (DEBRA study), since 2016, face-to-face surveys on tobacco consumption and alternative nicotine delivery systems (ANDS, such as e-cigarettes and tobacco heaters) have been conducted in the German population every two months.
The German Cancer Research Center names the following Reasons that motivate people to stop smoking:
- The risk Krebs reduce getting sick
- The risk for cardiovascular diseases to decrease
- Die lung function to improve and reduce the risk for respiratory diseases to reduce
- Die fertility and power to improve
- Healthier to look and more attractive to act
- Die physical fitness to increase
- others through passive smoking no more harm
- More control to gain about your own life
- More Money available to fulfill one’s desires
The best ways to quit smoking:
- Remove all utensilsthat are related to smoking from the home. For example cigarette packs, loose tobacco, rolling papers, ashtrays, matches and lighters.
- Tell your family, friends and acquaintances that you stop smoking want.
- Think about how you difficult situations react
- benefit medical therapies as the Quit Smoking Hotlinenicotine replacement therapy or smoking groups.
Why do you even gain weight if you quit smoking?
- Smoking increases energy expenditure, because the food consumed, especially fats and carbohydrates, are metabolized faster. The reason for this is that the nicotine contained in cigarettes for a faster conversion of the food components cares. This means that smokers consume around 200 kilocalories more per day than their non-smokers.
- Nicotine has an appetite suppressant effect. A study showed that Nicotine docks to certain receptors on nerve cells in the brain and thus signals to the body that it is getting enough to eat.
- After quitting smoking, the Taste buds more sensitive again. That can become one appetite increase and thus lead to increased food intake. At the same time, many ex-smokers tend to indulge in sweets or other Rewarding treats for quitting smoking or to distract yourself from the desire for a cigarette.
Quitting smoking can cause you to gain weight for the reasons outlined above. On average you can with an average weight gain of up to four kilograms calculate after quitting smoking. However, whether and how much you gain weight depends largely on your eating and exercise habits ab.
How to stop smoking without gaining weight
The fact is, it’s never too late to quit smoking. The damage to health and that of the involuntarily passive smokers are enormous and avoidable. However, anyone wishing to quit smoking must be aware that they must wean themselves from nicotine addiction. And that can with side effects such as nervousness, craving for smoke, irritability and sleep problems. However, weight gain after quitting smoking can be avoided if you observe the following tips:
- Stand behind your decision
- Quitting smoking only makes sense if you choose to do so of your own free will – with all the negative side effects that can occur. Make sure you know which one from the start health benefit quitting smoking means for you. Maybe then you can more easily accept a few extra pounds that may end up on your hips and that you can eventually lose again.
- Eat a diet rich in vitamins and low in sugar
- Already trying to lose weight before quitting smoking and increase your vitamin intake. At best, you should seek professional nutritional advice, which will advise you accordingly.
- To counteract the increased appetite, you should consider suitable measures to stop the first cravings. For example, by drinking a glass of water, learning conscious breathing techniques, or having pieces of fruit and vegetables at hand.
- Also take preference rich in vitamins and fiber as well as low-fat and low-sugar foods to you. This keeps your blood sugar level stable and avoids food cravings. Dietary fibers increase by their enormous swelling property the feeling of satiety. However, you should be careful here enough to drinkto avoid constipation. Suitable foods include oatmeal, wholemeal bread, legumes, fruit and vegetables.
- Eat mindfully and avoid large portions
- name you enough time to eat with pleasure and slowly. This way you will know in time when you are full.
- make sure no more calories to take than before quitting smoking.
- Don’t eat too much at once, eat distribute your meals down to five smaller portions per day.
- Mache no dietsbecause the reduced food intake forces your body to take countermeasures that lead to a Yo-Yo Effect being able to lead.
- Increase your sports program and move more in everyday life
- Physical activity helps you burn extra calories.
- In stressful situations, exercise can help you release pent-up energy and the reduce cravings for sweets. Endurance sports such as hiking, cycling, Nordic walking, swimming or cross-country skiing are well suited.
- Try more movement in everyday life to incorporate, for example, by using more stairs, riding a bike, going for a walk in the evening or having a drink new hobby are looking for something that makes you happy and distracts you from smoking.
- join in relaxation techniques such as yoga, qi gong or tai chi. They can help you become more aware of your body and reduce stress.
- Avoid sweets as a “substitute drug”
- are common Stressphasen or certain situations associated with reaching for a cigarette. The cell phone rings, the next appointment is pending and the usual cigarette after dinner brings back old cravings. As Ersatz then often have to serve sweet or salty treats that cause the calorie intake to skyrocket.
- Try during times of stress low-calorie alternatives found, such as pieces of vegetables or fruit, or sugar-free candy or chewing gum.
- Practice good sleep hygiene
- Too little sleep can cause the body to become certain Hormone pours out the increase appetite. Therefore, ensure a good sleeping atmosphere in the bedroom with few distractions and make sure you get enough sleep.
- A night’s sleep duration of seven to eight hours keep your hormones in balance.
Die negative effects of smoking are becoming more and more conscious. Thus, many smokers would like to give up nicotine addiction, but are afraid of it possible weight gain after quitting smoking. However, if you Nourishment keep an eye on you suitable “emergency measures” think about you move enough and on Relaxation and enough sleep If you pay attention, you have a good chance of counteracting the weight gain.
More on the subject: Tobacco tax is rising massively – that’s what cigarettes will soon cost