Wasp and bee stings are not only extremely unpleasant, they can even lead to life-threatening reactions in the case of an allergy.
Ouch! The warm season brings not only joy and sunshine, but also unpleasant company from the air. Once you’re not careful, a wasp or bee has approached you and defends itself with a sting. The consequences are then local severe pain, with a time lag associated with swelling, redness and itching.
Even people without allergies often suffer from unpleasant side effects after a wasp or bee sting. Allergy sufferers are particularly at risk of reacting with an overreaction of the immune system and thus allergic shock. It becomes dangerous if those affected do not yet know about their allergy, such as children.
Wasp allergy: first warm the sting, then cool it
The best way to protect yourself from stings is to Repel wasps and bees as best as possible with simple means. If you or your child has been stung by a wasp or bee, the first thing to do is to keep calm and, if possible, pass it on to the child. The puncture site should first be warmed for a few minutes to prevent swelling. Then cool with cooling pads, cold beverage bottles or even chilled yoghurt or quark – Also helps with sunstroke – depending on what you have on hand. A well-tried household remedy is: the sliced onion. Its juice not only has a cooling effect, but also has a slightly disinfecting and anti-inflammatory effect.
After a few minutes to hours, severe itching can occur at the site where the wasp or bee stung, combined with a clear liquid that comes out. These are usually normal reactions of the human body.
Wasp allergy: Call an ambulance in the event of a severe reaction with shortness of breath and severe swelling and redness
However, if you or your child shows local redness that is larger than ten centimeters in diameter, you should definitely observe it and act at the latest when the following symptoms become noticeable. Not all of them have to appear and they can also show themselves offset. Nevertheless: Immediately call the ambulance. Until it arrives, continue to cool the puncture site. If you get a sting in your mouth, it is best to suck on ice or ice cubes.
Signs of anaphylactic shock after a wasp and bee sting can loud German Allergy and Asthma Association e. V. (DAAB) be the following:
- shortness of breath
- Severe swelling and redness all over the body
- Unresponsive, loss of consciousness
This article only contains general information on the respective health topic and is therefore not intended for self-diagnosis, treatment or medication. In no way does it replace a visit to the doctor. Unfortunately, our editors are not allowed to answer individual questions about clinical pictures.
#reaction #severe #call #immediately