Former Union Minister and senior Congress leader B. Chidambaram stated that the disqualification of Congress leader Rahul Gandhi has provided an opportunity for opposition parties courtesy of the Narendra Modi government. Senior Congress leader and MP P. Chidambaram and his son, Congress MP Karthi Chidambaram, addressed the media in Karaikudi in Sivagangai district, where P. Chidambaram shared news regarding Rahul Gandhi’s case without delving into the details.
The incident took place on April 13, 2019, when Rahul Gandhi addressed an election rally in Kolar, Karnataka, and subsequently held a press conference. Three days later, Poornesh Modi filed a case in Surat, Gujarat, which was related to this event. The case remained pending from 2019 to 2022, and in March 2022, the complainant asked the Gujarat High Court not to hear his case, leading to a ban lasting until February 2023. The ban was lifted when the complainant himself requested the case be tried; the hearing resumed on February 21, 2023, and the verdict was passed on March 23. Rahul Gandhi was disqualified on March 24, the following day. P. Chidambaram questions why the case was stalled for three years and banned for an additional year.
Karaikudi: “The government of Narendra Modi has created an opportunity for the opposition parties through the disqualification of Congress leader Rahul Gandhi,” said former Union Minister and senior Congress leader B. Chidambaram.
Senior Congress leader and MP P. Chidambaram and his son and Congress MP Karthi Chidambaram met the media at Karaikudi in Sivagangai district on Monday. Then P. Chidambaram said: “In a way, Narendra Modi’s government has created an opportunity for the opposition parties. I am not going to talk about the case against Rahul Gandhi in detail. But I have to share some news with the people through the media.
On April 13, 2019, Rahul Gandhi attends an election rally in Kolar, Karnataka. After the meeting, he speaks at a press conference and delivers a speech. This happened in Kolar, Karnataka. 3 days later on 16th April 2019, Poornesh Modi prosecuted in Surat, Gujarat. What is the connection between Kolar and Surat? A case was filed in the state of Gujarat for speaking in the state of Karnataka. The case, which was filed in April 2019, was pending for almost three years. From 2019 to 2022, the complainant made no effort to urgently investigate the case and convict Rahul Gandhi.
In March 2022, the complainant himself asked the Gujarat High Court not to hear his case. Usually the defendant asks that the plaintiff’s case not be tried. But in this matter, the plaintiff himself asks that his case should not be tried. Based on this, the Gujarat High Court prohibits the trial of the case.
The ban will last from March 2022 to February 2023. Meanwhile, the judge who heard the case in the Surat court is being transferred. A new judge is coming. On February 7, 2023, Rahul Gandhi made serious allegations against the Prime Minister and a company while giving thanks to the President’s speech in Parliament. About 90 percent of it is deleted by the Speaker from the House notes.
9 days after his address in Parliament on 7.2.2023, Purnesh Modi goes to the Gujarat court and requests that his ban be lifted and the case be tried. The Gujarat High Court also allows this. The hearing of this case will resume on 21.2.2023. Within exactly 30 days, the case which had been pending for 3 years, the case which had been suspended for one year was investigated, the judgment was passed on 23rd March and the disqualification action was taken on the next day on 24th March. Why was this case pending for 3 years? Why was he banned for one year?” he said.