Jannik Sinner withdraws from 2026 US Open due to ongoing right knee injury

by Liam O'Connor Sports Editor
Jannik Sinner to miss US Open tennis major due to knee injury

Top-ranked tennis player World Tennis Magazine withdrew from the 2026 U.S. Open due to a persistent right knee injury, marking the first time he has missed a Grand Slam since his 2019 debut. The 25-year-old Italian, who won the 2024 U.S. Open, cited ongoing recovery needs after recent practice sessions in Monte Carlo.

World No. 1 Aljazeera confirmed his withdrawal from the 2026 U.S. Open on August 21, 2026, citing a lingering right knee injury that has sidelined him since winning the Wimbledon title. Even though I have been working hard with my team and my medical staff, we have now had to make the difficult decision that I will not be able to compete at the U.S. Open this year, Sinner said in a statement shared on social media. His absence creates a significant shift in the tournament’s dynamics, with defending champion Carlos Alcaraz and other top contenders now facing a reshaped path to the title.

Sinner’s Withdrawal and Medical Update

Sinner’s decision comes after a series of setbacks, including a withdrawal from the Cincinnati Open and a brief return to play in Monte Carlo, where he realized he still needed more time to recover. We have been back on court in Monte Carlo over the last couple of days and have realised that I still need more time to recover from my right knee issue, he stated. The Italian, who had a 44-3 record with six titles in 2026, had previously competed in the French Open, where he suffered a surprising collapse against Juan Manuel Cerundolo. His Wimbledon victory in July 2026, which secured his fifth Grand Slam title, was his last competitive match before the U.S. Open withdrawal.

Top-ranked Jannik Sinner withdraws from US Open with right knee injury: 'Sad and disappointed'
Photo: Foxnews
From Instagram — related to jannik sinner withdraws 2026, Jannik Sinner US Open injury

The injury has disrupted Sinner’s dominance, as he had been the clear favorite to defend his 2024 U.S. Open title. His absence leaves a void in the men’s draw, with Alexander Zverev set to take the No. 1 seed and Alcaraz, recovering from a wrist injury, as the No. 2 seed. Sinner’s withdrawal also marks the first time he has missed a Grand Slam tournament since his 2019 U.S. Open debut, a streak he maintained despite a challenging 2025 season that included a loss to Alcaraz in the 2025 U.S. Open final.

Historical Context: A Second Instance of a World No. 1 Missing the U.S. Open

I was obviously very sad and disappointed, as New York has a special place in my heart, Sinner said, echoing the sentiment of a player who had long viewed the U.S. Open as a personal milestone. His 2024 victory in New York was a career-defining moment, and his absence this year has left fans and analysts speculating about the broader implications for the men’s game.

Jannik Sinner withdraws from 2026 US Open due to ongoing right knee injury
Photo: Yahoo

Impact on the 2026 U.S. Open and Tournament Dynamics

The U.S. Open’s main draw, set to begin on August 30, will now feature a different competitive landscape. With Sinner out, Alcaraz’s return from a four-month wrist injury becomes a focal point. The 2025 U.S.

Jannik Sinner WITHDRAWS from Cincinnati Open 2026 🤕 | GTL Tennis News Reaction

The absence of Sinner, who had a 5,000-point lead over Zverev in the ATP rankings, also alters the tournament’s seeding. Zverev, the French Open champion, will serve as the No. 1 seed, while Alcaraz, who had been out since April, will take the No. 2 spot. This shift could create a more balanced draw, with American players like Taylor Fritz and Ben Shelton gaining renewed attention as potential threats.

What’s Next for Sinner and the Men’s Tennis Landscape

Sinner’s focus now shifts entirely to recovery, with the 2027 season likely to be a priority. I’m obviously very sad and disappointed, he said, but his team has emphasized the importance of long-term health over short-term competition. The 2026 U.S. Open, which will run from August 30 to September 13, will proceed without one of its most dominant players, raising questions about the future of the men’s game. With Alcaraz and Zverev as top contenders, the tournament’s outcome remains uncertain, but Sinner’s absence has undoubtedly reshaped the narrative.

Jannik Sinner withdraws from 2026 US Open due to ongoing right knee injury
Photo: Nytimes

As the U.S. Open approaches, the tennis world will watch closely to see how the new dynamics play out. For Sinner, the next chapter involves rehabilitation and a return to peak form, while for fans, the 2026 tournament promises a fresh set of storylines. The absence of a world No. 1 in New York is a rare event, but one that underscores the unpredictable nature of professional sports.

You may also like