Daily Mail Owner DMGT to Acquire Telegraph Media Group for £500 Million
Table of Contents
The publisher of the Daily Mail has reached an agreement to purchase the Daily and Sunday Telegraph for £500 million, ending a period of uncertainty surrounding the future of the iconic British newspapers.
The Daily Mail and General Trust (DMGT) announced it has entered into discussions with RedBird IMI, a joint venture between the United arab Emirates and U.S. private equity firm RedBird Capital Partners,to finalize the deal. This move comes just days after RedBird Capital’s independent bid for full control of the telegraph was withdrawn.
The acquisition is subject to approval by Culture Secretary Lisa Nandy.
Support from within the Telegraph
Lord Rothermere, chairman of DMGT, expressed his enthusiasm for the deal, stating, “Telegraph is Britain’s largest and best quality broadsheet newspaper and I have grown up respecting it.” He believes the deal will provide “much-needed certainty and confidence” to the newspaper’s employees.
A Global Vision for the Telegraph
Rothermere outlined plans to invest in the newsroom under the leadership of current editor Chris Evans, with the ambition of transforming the Daily Telegraph into a global brand, mirroring the success of the Daily Mail. “We intend to give him the resources to invest in the newsroom,” he said. “Under our ownership, the Daily Telegraph will become a global brand, just as the Daily Mail has.”
The Telegraph will join DMGT’s existing portfolio of media organizations, including the i Paper, Metro, and New Scientist, alongside the Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday. DMGT has assured the public that the Telegraph will maintain editorial independence from its other titles.
DMGT asserts that its case for approval is “compelling,” emphasizing full compliance with UK regulations and the absence of foreign state investment or capital in the funding structure. A spokesperson for RedBird IMI confirmed that the agreement was reached “swiftly” and will be submitted to the Secretary of State for review.
However, the path to approval hasn’t been without scrutiny. The Liberal Democrats, through Lords’ spokesperson chris fox, voiced skepticism about the concentration of media power. “A move towards a potential deal to end the uncertainty that has plagued the Telegraph’s future should certainly be considered,” Fox said. “But, of course as Liberals, we are sceptical about concentrating so much agenda-setting power in the hands of so few.” He called for a “rigorous examination” of the agreement by competition regulators to prevent further imbalance in the media landscape.
RedBird IMI’s previous Bid and the role of Foreign Investment
RedBird Capital’s initial attempt to acquire the Telegraph was blocked due to its important funding from Abu Dhabi’s IMI group, linked to the Abu Dhabi royal family.Recent legislative changes limited foreign sovereign wealth funds to a maximum 15% stake in British newspapers and periodicals.While RedBird IMI’s subsequent bid adhered to this new rule, sources indicated the government was prepared to initiate a regulatory review.
Individuals close to RedBird maintained confidence in their bid’s viability, but cited critical coverage from the Telegraph’s own newsroom as a contributing factor in their decision to withdraw. Gerry Cardinale, founder of RedBird, had previously envisioned expanding the Telegraph’s reach and subscriber base in the United States, identifying a potential market gap.RedBird’s diverse investment portfolio also includes ownership of the Italian football club AC Milan.
A Prolonged Period of Uncertainty
The Telegraph has been in a state of flux for over two years, beginning when the RedBird IMI consortium paid off the debts of the previous owners, the Barclay family, with the intention of ultimately acquiring the newspapers. The DMGT deal offers a potential resolution to this protracted period of uncertainty, though final approval remains pending.
