Iran’s Defiant Stance at Negotiations Masks Deepening Internal pressures
Table of Contents
Despite notable economic and military setbacks, Iran is approaching renewed negotiations with the US this Friday with uncompromising demands, raising questions about the regime’s calculations and its assessment of former President Trump’s willingness to escalate conflict.
The situation is characterized by a complex interplay of bluff and military posturing, where the reality of Iran’s weakened position is often obscured. Tehran’s refusal to alter its negotiating stance – mirroring positions taken before talks were halted last June following an Israeli attack – is especially surprising given the considerable challenges it has faced in the intervening months.
Military and Economic Strain
The past eight months have witnessed a marked deterioration in Iran’s security and economic standing. A 12-day conflict with Israel exposed vulnerabilities in its air defenses and revealed the extent of Israeli intelligence penetration into Iran’s political, military, and scientific sectors. Reports indicate more than 30 Iranian military commanders were killed and 160 strikes targeted Iranian military installations.
Further compounding thes issues, a US strike in June – utilizing B-2 bombers and Tomahawk missiles – reportedly “eviscerated” Iran’s nuclear programme, hitting key sites at Fordow, Isfahan, and Natanz.subsequent UN-wide sanctions, reimposed in September after European powers dropped their objections, and a 25% tariff imposed by Trump in January on goods from countries trading with Iran, have intensified economic pressure.
The economic impact has been severe. Since June, the Iranian currency has lost more than half its value against the dollar, and food inflation is rapidly approaching triple digits. These factors fueled nationwide protests in January, met with a brutal response from security forces, reportedly resulting in the deaths of thousands of Iranians.The government’s anxiety over public unrest is evident in its continued censorship of the internet, even a month after it began.
A Negotiating Strategy of Maximalism
Despite these pressures, Iranian diplomats appear undeterred, behaving as if the government is not on the brink of collapse or fearing a renewed conflict with the U
What Happens After the regime?
“As to what happens next in Iran if the supreme leader and the regime were to fall,” he stated to the Senate foreign relations committee, comparing the situation to the complexities of Venezuela.
However, opinions diverge on how a potential US intervention might unfold. Supporters of Reza Pahlavi, son of the deposed Shah, argue that a US attack could galvanize the Iranian population, leading to a more organized and resolute uprising. “iranians want the regime to be bombed,” asserted Saeed Ghasseminejad, a close supporter of Pahlavi, suggesting security forces would be unwilling to perpetrate another massacre if a nuclear deal had been rejected.
Divisions Among Dissidents
Other dissidents within Iran acknowledge the potential for foreign intervention, tho they would prefer UN endorsement. Human rights lawyer Nasrin Sotoudeh told Iranwire that many Iranians see a strike as their “last hope” in the face of overwhelming tyranny.
Conversely, prominent figures like Mir Hossein Mousavi, a former Iranian prime minister and leader of the Green Movement, and the collective known as Group of 17 – including Nobel laureate Narges Mohammadi and Oscar-nominated screenwriter Mehdi Mahmoudian – strongly oppose external intervention. They advocate for a peaceful, democratic transition of power, though the path to achieving this remains unclear given the current repression. Mahmoudian told the BBC that no patriotic Iranian would support an external attack, warning it would undermine domestic agency and deepen social divisions.
The Group of 17 issued a statement on January 2 demanding accountability for repression and allowing the Iranian people to determine their political future democratically. Three signatories have since been arrested for their involvement in drafting the statement, with Vida Rabbani reportedly refusing to cooperate with authorities and Mohammadi currently on a hunger strike.
Even some advisors to Pahlavi have expressed concern that calls for mass protests may be premature.
For the moment, Trump appears to have shifted his focus away from those seeking radical change within Iran. However, this could change if Iranian negotiators overplay their hand in Oman, possibly reigniting the risk of escalation.
