Philippines will ‘definitely’ comply with ICC request to arrest senator, Minister says

by Ahmed Ibrahim World Editor

The Philippine government has confirmed it will fully cooperate with the International Criminal Court (ICC) to execute an arrest warrant for Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, marking a pivotal escalation in the legal reckoning over the country’s controversial “war on drugs.” Justice Secretary Fredderick “Eric” Aure Vida announced on Friday, May 15, 2026, that the administration will definitely submit to the ICC request, treating the matter as a mandatory obligation of justice.

The move signals a definitive break from previous administrations that resisted international oversight. The warrant for the Philippines ICC arrest warrant Senator Bato targets the former police chief for alleged crimes against humanity. Dela Rosa, who spearheaded the narcotics crackdown under former President Rodrigo Duterte, is accused of overseeing a campaign of systemic violence and extrajudicial killings that claimed thousands of lives.

The announcement comes amid a high-stakes manhunt. Senator dela Rosa, who had been utilizing the Philippine Senate as a sanctuary, reportedly vanished before dawn on Thursday, May 14, 2026. His wife has characterized the disappearance as an “escape,” and government authorities have confirmed that his current whereabouts are unknown.

An activist displays a sign with a slogan calling for the arrest of Philippine Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa’s, during a protest outside the Philippine Senate. File | Photo Credit: Reuters

A Manhunt for the Former Police Chief

The ICC unsealed the warrant on Monday, May 11, 2026, though the document itself was dated back to November. The warrant specifically links dela Rosa to the operational command of the anti-narcotics campaign, alleging that his leadership facilitated widespread human rights abuses.

From Instagram — related to Dela Rosa, Philippine Supreme Court

Justice Secretary Vida emphasized that the government will not tolerate any attempts to evade the law. “We will treat any attempt by Sen. Dela Rosa to leave the country as a mockery of justice,” Vida told reporters on Friday. He further noted that explicit orders have already been issued to law enforcement agencies to intercept and arrest the senator should he attempt to flee the jurisdiction.

The sudden disappearance of a sitting senator has sent shockwaves through the political establishment, raising questions about the security of the Senate complex and the level of coordination involved in the senator’s exit.

The Legal Battle Over Jurisdiction

Senator dela Rosa has not remained silent in his legal defense. He has filed an emergency appeal with the Philippine Supreme Court, challenging the validity of the ICC’s authority. The core of his argument rests on the Philippines’ 2019 withdrawal from the Rome Statute, the treaty that established the court.

Dela Rosa contends that because the country is no longer a member state, the ICC has no jurisdiction to issue warrants or demand the arrest of its citizens. He continues to deny any involvement in illegal killings, maintaining that the operations conducted under his command were lawful efforts to secure the nation from drug trafficking.

However, legal experts note that the ICC typically retains jurisdiction over crimes committed while a state was still a party to the treaty. This legal precedent is what has already led to the detention of the country’s former highest official.

Timeline of ICC Actions in the Philippines

Date Event Status/Impact
2019 Philippines withdraws from Rome Statute Legal dispute over ongoing jurisdiction begins
2025 Arrest and transfer of Rodrigo Duterte First former Asian head of state in ICC detention
May 11, 2026 ICC unseals warrant for Ronald dela Rosa Formal request for arrest submitted to Manila
May 14, 2026 Senator dela Rosa disappears from Senate Current status: Fugitive/Unknown whereabouts
May 15, 2026 Justice Ministry confirms ICC compliance Government commits to executing the arrest

The Shadow of the Duterte Trial

The pursuit of Senator dela Rosa is inextricably linked to the ongoing case against former President Rodrigo Duterte. Mr. Duterte is currently in ICC detention following his arrest and transfer to The Hague last year. He is set to become the first former Asian head of state to stand trial before the international court, facing charges of crimes against humanity.

The detention of Duterte has fundamentally altered the political landscape in Manila, removing the primary shield of protection for those who implemented his drug war policies. The Justice Ministry’s willingness to comply with the Philippines ICC arrest warrant Senator Bato suggests a broader policy of cooperation with the Human Rights Watch and other international monitoring bodies to resolve legacy issues of the previous administration.

For the victims of the drug war—many of whom are from the poorest urban communities—the potential trial of both the architect and the chief implementer of the campaign represents a long-awaited step toward accountability.

Disclaimer: This report covers ongoing legal proceedings. All individuals are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

The next critical development will be the Philippine Supreme Court’s ruling on Senator dela Rosa’s emergency appeal regarding ICC jurisdiction. A decision on this motion will determine whether the Justice Ministry can legally proceed with the arrest or if the warrant remains stalled by domestic judicial review.

We invite readers to share their perspectives on this developing story in the comments below and share this report to keep the conversation on international justice active.

You may also like

Leave a Comment