Prince Andrew: Police Investigate Giuffre Claims

Prince Andrew Faces New Scrutiny as Police Investigate Alleged Misuse of Security Detail

The Metropolitan Police are actively investigating claims that Prince Andrew instructed a close protection officer to obtain private information about Virginia Giuffre, shortly before the emergence of a damaging photograph of the two. The allegations, stemming from leaked emails, have ignited fresh controversy surrounding the Duke of York and his long-standing ties to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

Leaked Emails Raise “Deeply Concerning” Questions

Leaked emails suggest Prince Andrew allegedly passed on Giuffre’s date of birth and confidential US social security number to a member of his Metropolitan Police security detail in 2011. A government minister described the claims as “deeply concerning” on Sunday, emphasizing the inappropriate nature of such a request.

Energy Secretary Ed Miliband stated that the allegations warranted a thorough investigation, asserting that “it was absolutely not the way that close protection officers should be used.” According to reports, Prince Andrew allegedly told Ed Perkins, then the Queen’s deputy press secretary, that he had tasked the officer with gathering information about Giuffre, and further claimed she had a criminal record in the United States. This communication occurred hours before the publication of a now-infamous photograph depicting Prince Andrew with Giuffre, who was 17 years old at the time.

Giuffre’s Family Disputes Claims of Criminal Record

Giuffre’s family has publicly stated that she had no criminal record. Importantly, there is currently no indication that the police officer in question complied with Prince Andrew’s request. A spokesperson for the Metropolitan Police confirmed that they are “aware of media reporting and are actively looking into the claims made.”

The allegations resurface as Prince Andrew continues to face intense scrutiny over his relationship with Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell, who were central figures in a sex trafficking operation. Giuffre herself alleged that she was forced to have sexual relations with Prince Andrew on three separate occasions while being trafficked by Epstein and Maxwell. She tragically took her own life earlier this year. Reports this weekend also indicate that Prince Andrew was allegedly introduced to a second victim of Epstein.

Royal Titles Relinquished Amid Growing Pressure

On Friday, Prince Andrew relinquished his royal titles, including Duke of York, having previously been stripped of his HRH title and removed from his role as a “working royal.” His former wife, Sarah Ferguson, will now be known simply as Sarah Ferguson and no longer as Duchess of York. However, their daughters will retain their titles as princesses.

Prince Andrew stated that he made the decision following discussions with the King, adding, “With His Majesty’s agreement, we feel I must now go a step further. I will therefore no longer use my title or the honours which have been conferred upon me. As I have said previously, I vigorously deny the accusations against me.” He has not yet issued a statement regarding the latest allegations concerning the alleged misuse of his security detail.

The Question of “Prince” Remains

Despite relinquishing many of his titles, Prince Andrew retains the dukedom, which would require an act of parliament to remove. He also remains a prince, a status that could only be altered through a letters patent issued by the King.

Giuffre’s family has renewed calls for King Charles to strip Prince Andrew of his “prince” title. Giuffre’s brother, Sky Roberts, told BBC Two’s Newsnight on Friday that his sister would have been “very proud” of the recent developments, but urged the King to go further and “take out the prince in the Andrew.” He emphasized the need for accountability for all those implicated in the abuse of survivors.

When asked about potential legislation, Ed Miliband indicated that the government would defer to the royal family’s decision-making process. “The royal family will have to make its own decisions about what other steps can be taken,” he said, adding that the royal family had previously expressed reluctance to dedicate parliamentary time to the matter.

Giuffre’s Memoir Reveals Alleged Sense of Entitlement

The renewed scrutiny comes after The Guardian published an excerpt from Giuffre’s posthumous memoir last week. In the memoir, Giuffre detailed her first encounter with Prince Andrew, describing him as “entitled” and alleging that he “believed having sex with me was his birthright.”

Prince Andrew’s 2019 Newsnight interview, in which he claimed to have severed ties with Epstein after a 2010 photograph surfaced, has also come under renewed examination. Subsequent revelations of emails sent in February 2011 suggest continued contact with Epstein, including a message reading: “Keep in close touch and we’ll play some more soon!” These ongoing developments continue to cast a long shadow over the royal family and raise serious questions about Prince Andrew’s conduct and associations.

Leave a Comment