Rogoredo Shooting: Officer Admits Moving Gun, Claims Self-Defense

by ethan.brook News Editor

Milan, Italy – A police officer’s account of a fatal shooting in the Rogoredo woods is unraveling, with Carmelo Cinturrino admitting to placing a replica firearm near the body of Abderrahim Mansouri, a 28-year-vintage man he shot and killed during a drug enforcement operation on January 26th. The admission, made during a conversation with his lawyer Piero Porciani, comes as investigators build a case alleging the officer attempted to stage the scene to appear as self-defense. The case, which has sparked national debate, centers on allegations of police misconduct and potential evidence tampering.

Cinturrino, an assistant chief of police, initially claimed he fired after Mansouri threatened him with a weapon. Still, investigations revealed the object presented as a firearm was a blank-firing replica, and that it was placed at the scene after the shooting. According to reports, Cinturrino did not immediately request medical assistance, waiting 23 minutes before calling for help. This delay, coupled with emerging allegations of extortion, has fueled scrutiny of the officer’s actions.

The latest developments came to light as Cinturrino met with his lawyer at San Vittore prison on Friday, February 23rd, ahead of a scheduled interrogation with Judge Domenico Santoro on Saturday. During the meeting, Cinturrino conceded to placing the replica Beretta 92 next to Mansouri’s body, reportedly fearing the consequences of his actions. He likewise told his lawyer he instructed a colleague to retrieve a backpack from a police station, knowing its contents, though the specifics of those contents remain unclear.

Allegations of Extortion and a History of Conflict

Beyond the questions surrounding the shooting itself, investigators are examining claims that Cinturrino engaged in a pattern of misconduct within the Rogoredo drug trade. Reports suggest the officer allegedly demanded “pizzo” – protection money – and drugs from local pushers, with some alleging he requested up to €200 and five grams of cocaine daily. ANSA reports that colleagues have described Cinturrino as violent, alleging he previously assaulted drug dealers with a hammer.

Cinturrino reportedly told his lawyer that he fired after seeing Mansouri reach into his pocket, initially believing he was reaching for a weapon. He later claimed Mansouri was holding a stone. This account contradicts witness testimony, including that of an Afghan citizen who observed the incident and stated Mansouri was engaged in a phone call prior to the shooting.

Combo of photos of Abderrahim Mansouri (frame from Tg2) and Carmelo Cinturrino

Forensic Evidence Points to Officer’s Involvement

Crucially, forensic analysis has revealed no traces of Mansouri’s DNA on the replica firearm, but has found Cinturrino’s biological material on multiple parts of the weapon, including the grip, trigger, and backstrap. Prosecutor Giovanni Tarzia stated at a press conference that this evidence strongly suggests Cinturrino handled the gun extensively after the shooting. As reported by Unionensarda, investigators maintain Cinturrino poses a risk of further violence and potential evidence tampering.

The investigation has also revealed that Mansouri reportedly feared Cinturrino and intended to file a complaint alleging extortion. This adds another layer to the complex case, suggesting a possible motive beyond a simple confrontation during a drug enforcement operation.

Political Fallout and Public Concern

The case has drawn national attention in Italy, prompting reactions from political leaders. Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni expressed her dismay at the developments, calling any betrayal of trust by law enforcement “a betrayal of the nation.” According to ANSA, opposition leaders have called for a review of police impunity and greater accountability for law enforcement actions.

Cinturrino remains in custody at San Vittore prison, awaiting Saturday’s interrogation before Judge Santoro, who will decide whether to uphold the arrest and order continued detention. The outcome of that hearing will be a critical step in determining the future of the case and the pursuit of justice in the shooting death of Abderrahim Mansouri. The investigation into potential corruption and misconduct within the Rogoredo police unit is ongoing.

The next step in this case is Saturday’s interrogation of Carmelo Cinturrino, where Judge Santoro will assess the evidence and determine whether to pursue further detention. Updates on the investigation will be released by the Milan Prosecutor’s Office as they grow available.

Have a comment on this story? Share your thoughts below.

You may also like

Leave a Comment