U.S. rejects Iran peace plan over nuclear program and Strait of Hormuz

by ethan.brook News Editor
The Nuclear Red Line That Won’t Budge
Iran’s latest peace proposal—submitted April 18—has been dismissed by the U.S. as insufficient, with Secretary of State Marco Rubio drawing a hard line on two issues: Iran’s nuclear program and its control of the Strait of Hormuz. The rejection has highlighted tensions within Tehran’s leadership, where questions about authority and decision-making persist. The standoff continues to disrupt global shipping and energy markets, with no immediate resolution in sight.

The Nuclear Red Line That Won’t Budge

When Iranian negotiators submitted their proposal on April 18, they framed it as a two-step solution: first, a loosening of Tehran’s grip on the Strait of Hormuz in exchange for the lifting of the U.S. blockade; second, a deferral of nuclear talks to an unspecified future date. The U.S. response, delivered by Secretary of State Marco Rubio in an April 24 interview, was unequivocal. The nuclear question is the reason why we’re in this in the first place, he said. That fundamental issue still has to be confronted. That still remains the core issue here.

Rubio’s phrasing was deliberate. The proposal sought to separate the nuclear issue from the broader conflict, a move some officials suggested was more constructive than anticipated. However, skepticism remained. We can’t let them get away with it, Rubio added. They’re very experienced negotiators, and we have to ensure that any deal that is made, any agreement that is made, is one that definitively prevents them from sprinting towards a nuclear weapon at any point.

The impasse reflects differing priorities. The U.S. insists that Iran’s nuclear ambitions must be addressed immediately, while Tehran appears to be testing whether it can secure relief from the blockade without making immediate concessions on enrichment. The proposal’s structure indicated an effort to shift the focus toward economic pressure, but Rubio’s rejection demonstrated that this approach did not gain traction in Washington.

The Strait of Hormuz: A Toll Booth No One Wants to Pay

The Strait of Hormuz, a 21-mile-wide chokepoint through which a significant share of the world’s oil passes, has emerged as a critical point of contention. Iran’s proposal included a conditional reopening of the waterway—contingent on the U.S. lifting its blockade—but Rubio dismissed the idea outright. Those are international waterways, he said. They cannot normalize, nor can we tolerate them trying to normalize, a system in which the Iranians decide who gets to use an international waterway and how much you have to pay them to use it.

From Instagram — related to Central Command, Toll Booth No One Wants

The U.S. Central Command underscored the point on April 27, when a guided-missile destroyer blocked an Iranian oil tanker from sailing to port. The incident followed the turning away of multiple tankers carrying millions of barrels of Iranian oil earlier in the week, according to reports from the Deccan Herald. The message was clear: the U.S. is unwilling to cede control of the Strait, even temporarily, and Iran’s efforts to leverage its strategic position have not yielded the desired outcome.

For more on this story, see Trump-Iran Ceasefire: Peace Plan, Political Tension, and Future Uncertainty.

For global energy markets, the standoff has had measurable consequences. The blockade has disrupted fuel supplies, contributing to price increases in Asia and Europe. Officials in the European Union have emphasized the need for alternative energy sources, reflecting broader concerns about supply stability. Rubio’s comments suggest the U.S. views the economic strain as a necessary measure to prevent Iran from establishing a precedent of control over the waterway.

Who’s Really Negotiating in Tehran?

The most persistent question hanging over the talks isn’t about the terms of the proposal—it’s about who authorized it. Rubio didn’t mince words: I think there are still questions about whether the person submitting it had the authority to submit that offer. The uncertainty stems from the opaque power dynamics in Tehran, where the transition following the death of Ayatollah Ali Khamenei remains unresolved, and the role of his son, Mojtaba Khamenei, has yet to be fully clarified.

US-Iran War: US Rejects Iran Peace Proposal Over Nuclear Programme Amid Russia Ties

Pressed on Mojtaba’s status, Rubio offered a carefully parsed response: We have indications that he is. Obviously they claim that he is. We don’t have evidence that he’s not. But he quickly added a caveat: I think the question between alive and in power are two different questions. You can be alive—but I think the unresolved questions here are does he have the same credibility as his father did.

The distinction is critical. The elder Khamenei’s authority was established over decades, but Mojtaba’s influence remains uncertain. Rubio described Iran’s leadership as deeply divided, where negotiators must navigate competing factions before engaging with the U.S. One of the impediments here is that our negotiators aren’t just negotiating with Iranians, he said. Those Iranians then have to negotiate with other Iranians in order to figure out what they can agree to, what they can offer, what they’re willing to do, even who they’re willing to meet with.

This follows our earlier report, Witkoff and Kushner start second round of indirect Iran peace talks.

The dynamic has created delays in the negotiation process. Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi’s recent diplomatic engagements—including meetings with Russian President Vladimir Putin in Moscow and visits to Oman and Pakistan—indicate Tehran is seeking external support. However, while Putin’s public statements have been supportive, they have not translated into concrete pressure on the U.S. Meanwhile, the cancellation of a planned U.S. delegation visit to Islamabad, shortly after Araghchi’s departure from Pakistan, highlights the fragility of these diplomatic efforts.

What to Watch Now

The next steps in the standoff will depend on Iran’s response. The rejection of the proposal leaves Tehran weighing its options: either revise the terms to address the nuclear issue more directly or maintain pressure through the blockade. The first approach could face resistance from hardliners opposed to concessions, while the second risks prolonging the conflict and increasing Iran’s isolation.

For the U.S., the strategy appears to be one of patience. Rubio’s remarks indicate the administration is prepared to sustain the blockade, viewing its economic impact as a tool to prevent Iran from gaining leverage. The question is whether Iran’s leadership can unite behind a counteroffer—or whether internal divisions will prevent a coherent response.

In the meantime, the Strait of Hormuz remains a potential flashpoint. The U.S. Central Command’s recent actions signal that the military dimension of the standoff is far from resolved. With global energy markets already under strain, the costs of the deadlock continue to mount, affecting fuel prices across regions from Asia to Europe.

One thing is clear: the nuclear issue will not remain deferred indefinitely. Rubio’s position is firm, and Iran’s next proposal will need to address it directly—or risk being dismissed before it is even considered.

You may also like

Leave a Comment