Virginia Poised to Lead Nation in High-Speed Internet Access with $545 Million BEAD Funding Approval
Virginia is on track to become a national leader in broadband access, having already connected three times more homes than any other state since 2022, and now securing approval for over $545 million in funding to reach every remaining unserved location.
Virginia’s ambitious plan to achieve universal high-speed internet access took a significant step forward this week with the approval of its Broadband, Equity, Access and Deployment (BEAD) Final Proposal by the U.S. Department of Commerce. Governor Glenn Youngkin announced the approval on Tuesday, following confirmation from U.S. Secretary of Commerce Howard Lutnick and NTIA Administrator Arielle Roth.
The approved funding will empower 23 internet service providers to connect the state’s remaining 133,000 unserved homes, businesses, and crucial community anchor institutions – schools, hospitals, and libraries – to reliable, high-speed internet. According to the Youngkin administration, Virginia has already surpassed all other states in connecting homes to broadband since 2022. Officials confirm that a funded project is now underway for every location currently without service.
“Since the very beginning of our administration, connecting every Virginia home and business to reliable, high-speed internet has been a top priority,” Governor Youngkin stated. “This approval clears the way for us to keep this promise, with a funded broadband project for every unserved home and business in the Commonwealth.”
NTIA Administrator Arielle Roth praised Virginia’s strategic approach, noting the state’s “real leadership—embracing a mix of technologies while working with private partners to deliver nearly a billion dollars in savings.” This collaborative model has been key to maximizing the impact of the federal investment.
The effort builds on years of work by U.S. Senator Mark R. Warner, who was instrumental in crafting the broadband provisions of the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law. “Expanding broadband access has been a top priority of mine since my time as governor, and I’m proud that Virginia continues to remain a national leader in this effort,” Warner said. He added that the law’s goal was to “give states the resources to finally finish the job,” and Virginia’s approval demonstrates that vision becoming a reality.
Beyond the federal funding, the BEAD awards are expected to leverage nearly $430 million in private investment, further accelerating the expansion of broadband infrastructure across the state. The Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development’s Office of Broadband spearheaded the proposal’s development and will oversee its implementation. A “Benefit of the Bargain” process, according to state officials, resulted in over $250 million in taxpayer savings.
Secretary of Commerce & Trade Juan Pablo Segura emphasized the broader benefits of universal broadband access. “Achieving universal broadband access will foster economic growth, strengthen public safety, and improve access to education and healthcare across the Commonwealth,” he said.
Senator Warner previously secured $65 billion nationwide for broadband deployment and access through the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, which included the creation of the BEAD program. This ongoing investment underscores the federal commitment to bridging the digital divide.
Detailed information regarding Virginia’s approved proposal and awarded projects is available through the Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development. This initiative represents a transformative step towards a more connected and equitable future for all Virginians.
