Time.news – The excavations for the sewerage system in via Roma in Palermo have delivered a precious treasure composed of four bronze coins in a bad state of conservation, which need to be restored. These are denarii with the eagle on the obverse and the Aragonese shield on the reverse.
The coins were found on the preparation layer of a previous floor of which faint traces emerged. The bronze coins are attested as early as 1285, under the reign of James of Aragon, and continued until 1503, under Ferdinand the Catholic.
The discovery took place thanks to the archaeological surveillance exercised by the Superintendence of Cultural Heritage of Palermo, through the archaeologist Giuseppina Battaglia, and in the course of the excavations conducted in the field by Andrea Masi, of the Paropos Cooperative.
“This discovery during the excavations in Via Roma testifies to the attention with which the Superintendency works for the protection of our heritage. Thanks to the surveillance of the Region’s archaeologists – underlines the Regional Councilor for Cultural Heritage and Sicilian Identity, Alberto Samonà – we have been able to recover, in the very recent past, very significant evidence for the historical-archaeological reconstruction of Sicily; last in chronological order the necropolis with the inviolate tombs in Marsala “.
Excavations on Via Roma have already returned, in recent days, a wall structure consisting of an environment with a terracotta floor in the area at the corner with Via Cavour. The in-depth essays carried out have highlighted the long life of this building which has undergone several transformations and readjustments over time. Says the superintendent Selima Giuliano: “During the long period of the Aragonese dominion between 1282 and 1516, Messina found itself to be the only mint operating in Sicily”.