Mickey Rourke: No Rent Money Donations Needed

A GoFundMe campaign surfaced on Sunday seeking $100,000 for actor Mickey Rourke to cover unpaid rent, but the 73-year-old star quickly denied any knowledge of—or approval for—the effort.

The conflicting accounts raise questions about Rourke’s financial situation and the intentions behind the online fundraiser.

The GoFundMe page, created by Laya-Joel Jones for Kimberly Hines, Rourke’s longtime manager, stated the funds would help the actor remain in his apartment. It claimed Rourke had given his full consent to its creation.

Rourke refuted this in a video posted to Instagram. “Someone made a foundation or a fund for me to donate money, like charity, and it’s not me,” he said, adding he was “angry” and “confused” by the situation.

“If I wanted money, I wouldn’t ask for fucking handouts, I’d rather stick a gun in my ass and pull the trigger,” Rourke stated emphatically.

He urged viewers not to donate and to request refunds if they already had. Rourke also said he would consult with his lawyer to investigate the campaign.

Watch Rourke’s full video here:

However, Hines offered a contrasting narrative, asserting the GoFundMe money was intended for Rourke’s benefit.

She told The Hollywood Reporter that Rourke was moved into a hotel within the last 48 hours, and a longer-term apartment had been secured for him.

Reports from People indicate Rourke owes nearly $60,000 in back rent to his landlord.

“GoFundMe [the campaign] was made for Mickey. That money goes to Mickey. They don’t come to me. And if Miki doesn’t want the money now and decides “I don’t want help because it’s like alms”, the money will be returned,” Hines explained.

According to Hines, Rourke no longer has a key to his previous residence. She stated a moving company was required to remove his belongings, and a storage unit was arranged.

“And it’s all paid for by his management team, which is me,” Hines said.

Hines explained that she and Rourke’s assistant, Dima, informed him, “Mickey, there are people who want to help you,” to which he responded, “OK, great.” “I don’t think he understood us, and now this media story happened and he freaked out,” Hines added.

She said Rourke sent her a WhatsApp message thanking her before releasing the video disavowing the fundraiser. She also noted he simultaneously contacted friends and herself requesting funds.

Hines stated she intends to continue as Rourke’s manager, as he has not blamed her for the situation.

Hines reiterated that all funds from the GoFundMe campaign are for Rourke and that no one is attempting to profit from his circumstances. She added that, as of Monday, he had received four offers for acting roles.

“People write to him with movie offers, which is great because no one has called him in a long time,” she added.

Regarding Rourke’s rent issues, Hines explained he had lived in the same house for over a decade. The property changed ownership approximately a year and a half ago, and the rent was increased from $5,200 to $7,000, ultimately leading to his eviction.

However, the house was reportedly in disrepair, lacking a functioning refrigerator and running water, with mold and water damage rendering much of the furniture unusable.

You may also like

Leave a Comment